Covid-19 Policies and Procedures
GoochlandCares' policy is to implement safety measures that will protect clients, volunteers, and staff from COVID-19 exposure and infection. We will update our policies and procedures as recommendations and information changes.
This policy is based on the current knowledge we have about the COVID-19 virus and resulting pandemic:
- COVID-19 mortality vastly exceeds flu mortality. Last year, 22,000 Americans died from the flu, while over 800,000 have died from COVID-19.
- There is a gap in vaccine effectiveness, too. Last year’s flu vaccine was found to be 45 percent effective; COVID-19 vaccines are reportedly 95 percent effective.
- The risk from not getting a COVID vaccine is higher, while the likelihood of protection is greater.
- Although the vaccine is highly effective, it is not 100% protective. Therefore, unimmunized persons pose a risk even to those who have been vaccinated.
People who want to volunteer in the building during business hours are required to:
- Maintain physical distancing.
- Be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by September 1, 2021 and have at least one dose by August 1, 2021. Receive the COVID-19 booster, if recommended by the CDC.
- Provide documentation of vaccination status or self-report vaccination status.
- Wear a mask. People in the Food Pantry, Clothes Closet, Clinic and any place where it is not possible to maintain 6 feet of distance are required to wear a surgical mask. (Updated 8/5/2021)
Individuals who are not fully vaccinated may request a volunteer project that is not onsite during business hours. Requests should be made to the volunteer coordinator – Diane Reale @ dreale@GoochlandCares.org or (804) 556-0712.
We have adjusted building cleaning:
- Hospital grade cleaning products are used throughout the building.
- Cleaning crew schedule has been increased to four times per week.
- Cleaning supplies (i.e. disinfectant wipes, hand sanitizer) are available throughout the building. (Hand washing is the preferred method of cleaning your hands, but hand sanitizer is available.)
- Staff and volunteers are asked to wipe shared surfaces (front door handles, buttons, keyboards, vehicles) with antibacterial solution after use and at the end of the day.
- I-Wave air purifier system has been added to our HVAC units. Portable air purifiers have been placed in areas of high traffic.
Before entering the building:
Please consider these questions before coming to volunteer. If you answer YES, please call (804) 556-6260 to let us know. It is best not to come to the building if you are not well.
- Have you had any contact with someone who is positive for COVID-19?
- Do you have a fever/temperature of 100.4 degrees?
- Have you had chills or shaking with chills?
- Do you have a sore throat?
- Do you have unexplained muscle pain?
- Do you have a cough?
- Are you having trouble breathing or have shortness of breath?
- Have you lost your sense of smell or taste?